SYNGENTA ANNOUNCES "GOOD GROWTH PLANT GRANT" CONTEST
Jun. 13, 2014
Source: Syngenta news release
With our global population growing by 200,000 every day, by 2050 we'll have more than 9 billion people on our planet. That's 2 billion more than we have today. Since food, farmland and fresh water are already scarce resources, how will we feed everyone?
The Good Growth Plan
The Good Growth Plan, which was launched last fall by Syngenta, is the agriculture industry's most ambitious sustainability program. It addresses the overall food security challenge and is focused on six commitments, including:
1. Make crops more efficient - increase the average productivity of the world's major crops by 20 percent without using more land, water or inputs
2. Rescue more farmland - improve the fertility of nearly 25 million acres of farmland on the brink of degradation
3. Help biodiversity flourish - enhance the biodiversity on more than 12 million acres of farmland
4. Empower smallholder farmers - reach 20 million smallholders and enable them to increase productivity by 50 percent
5. Help people stay safe - train 20 million farm workers on labor safety, especially in developing countries
6. Look after every worker - strive for fair labor conditions throughout our entire supply chain network
Syngenta is working to achieve these targets by 2020.
The Good Growth Plan Grant Contest
The Good Growth Plan Grant Contest* was established as a way for everyone with ideas on one or more of the six commitments to submit their ideas on how to tackle the food security challenge. One grand prize winner will receive $20,000 and three runner-up winners will receive $10,000 to help implement their ideas.
A panel of judges will determine who the winners are. All four winners will be paired with an implementation advisor from Syngenta to track progress and help bring the idea to life.
Everyone is invited to help achieve the six commitments outlined by Syngenta. Anyone may submit an idea through www.GoodGrowthPlanGrant.com. The deadline for submissions is July 14, 2014. For idea inspiration, an animated video can be viewed at http://youtu.be/Bbjzo9seNX0.
Submitted ideas will be evaluated according to these criteria:
• Potential Impact - Idea should address one or more of the six commitments outlined in The Good Growth Plan and will be judged according to the positive contribution it makes to its target commitment(s).
• Originality and Creativity - Idea should offer an original solution to an existing or potential problem.
• Feasibility - Idea should have clearly identified measurable and attainable objectives as well as a plan for reaching those objectives.
What to submit
When submitting an idea, entrants will have the opportunity to upload an optional detailed plan. Submitted plans should contain the following information:
• Description - Describe the idea and how it relates and contributes to one or more of The Good Growth Plan's six commitments.
• Organizational Structure - Who will be on the team, and for what will each person be responsible?
• Beneficiaries - Who is intended to benefit from the idea?
• Timeline - Outline the timing for bringing the ideas to life. The timeline may include multiple stages.
• Impact - What effect will the implemented idea have on others?
• Success Indicators - What would success look like for a team as it implements this idea? Include up to five outcomes that could demonstrate successful implementation of the idea.
• Budget - Describe in detail the costs associated with developing and implementing the idea and plans for any additional funding required (e.g. additional grants, revenue from products or services).
*The Good Growth Plan Grant Contest
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO WIN. Open only to legal residents of the 50 U.S. states/D.C. and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18+. Void where prohibited. Contest ends 7/14/14 at 11:59:59 ET. Subject to the Official Rules.