BIO ELECTS NEW OFFICERS, BOARD MEMBERS
Jun. 24, 2014
Source: Biotechnology Industry Organization news release
The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) is pleased to announce the re-election of Rachel King, President & CEO, GlycoMimetics, Inc., as the Chair of its Board of Directors for the 2014-2015 term, the election of Dan Junius, President & CEO, ImmunoGen, as its new Board Treasurer, and the re-election of David Pyott, Chairman, President & CEO, Allergan, Inc., as Board Secretary.
The Board also elected 19 of its Directors to serve on BIO's Board Executive Committee for the new term. In addition, BIO welcomes the election of 10 new members to its Board of Directors, voted upon at this year's 2014 BIO International Convention.
"We welcome our new officers and Board members, and are looking forward to working with them to create a more favorable policy, legislative and business development environment for the global biotech industry," said Jim Greenwood, BIO President & CEO. "This newly-constituted Board of Directors brings significant industry experience and passion that will serve BIO and its members well."
Greenwood also thanked BIO's departing Board members, saying, "BIO is deeply appreciative to departing Board members for their dedication and commitment over the years."
Members of the Executive Committee of BIO's Board of Directors for the 2014-2015 term are:
• Rachel King, President & CEO, GlycoMimetics - Board and Executive Committee Chair
• Dan Junius, President & CEO, ImmunoGen - Board Treasurer
• David Pyott, Chairman, President & CEO, Allergan - Board Secretary
• Ron Cohen, President & CEO, Acorda Therapeutics - Health Section Governing Board Vice Chair
• John Maraganore, Chief Executive Officer, Emerging Companies Section (ECS) Governing Board Chair
• Michael Narachi, President & CEO, Orexigen Therapeutics - ECS Governing Board Vice Chair
• Jerry Flint, Vice President, Biotech Affairs and Regulatory, DuPont - Food & Agriculture Section (FAS) Governing Board Chair
• Eddie Sullivan, President & CEO, SAB Biotherapeutics - FAS Governing Board Vice Chair
• Adam Monroe, President, Novozymes North America- Industrial & Environmental Section (IES) Governing Board Chair
• Christopher Standlee, Executive Vice Present, Institutional Relationships & Government Affairs, Abengoa Bioenergy - IES Governing Board Vice Chair
• Ian Clark, CEO & Head of North American Commercial Operations, Genentech/Roche - At-Large
• Doug Doerfler, President & CEO, MaxCyte - At-Large
• Julie Gerberding, President, Merck Vaccines - At-Large
• Geno Germano, President and General Manager of Specialty Care and Oncology, Pfizer - At-Large
• Paul Hastings, President & CEO, OncoMed Pharmaceuticals - At-Large
• Perry Karsen, Chief Operations Officer, Celgene - At-Large
• Richard Pops, Chairman & CEO, Alkermes - At-Large
• Jay Siegel, Chief Biotechnology Officer & Head Scientific Strategy & Policy, Johnson & Johnson - At-Large
• H. Thomas Watkins - Immediate Past Chair/Chair Emeritus
The full BIO Board of Directors is comprised of the elected Directors serving on each of BIO's Section Governing Boards. The newly-elected Board Members from these Sections are:
Health Section Governing Board
• John Glasspool, Vice President, Emerging Therapies and Market Development, Baxter Bioscience
• Flemming Ornskov, Chief Executive Officer, Shire, plc
• Paris Panayiotopoulos, President & Managing Director, EMD Serono, Inc.
• Michael Severino, Executive Vice President and R&D Chief Scientific Officer, AbbVie
• Mark Timney, President & CEO, Purdue Pharma
Emerging Companies Section Governing Board
• Deborah Dunsire, President & CEO, FORUM Pharmaceuticals
• Jean-Francois Formela, Partner, Atlas Venture
• Hans Schikan, Chief Executive Officer, Prosensa
• James Healy, General Partner, Sofinnova Ventures
• Neil Warma, President & CEO, Opexa Therapeutics, Inc.
BIO is the world's largest trade association representing biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and in more than 30 other nations. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world's largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world. BIOtechNOW is BIO's blog chronicling "innovations transforming our world" and the BIO Newsletter is the organization's bi-weekly email newsletter. Subscribe to the BIO Newsletter.