FIVE-TEN-TWENTY YEARS AGO
THIS MONTH IN AGRIMARKETING
Five Years Ago (2001)
• An article featured in-depth profiles of 12 Internet startups. Five of the 12 are in existence today.
• Dow AgroSciences purchases Rohm and Haas's ag products business.
• NAMA's annual conference is held in Denver. Named AgBusiness Leader of the Year is the AEM's Emmett Barker. Agri-marketer of the Year is Monsato-Corn State's Wendall Knehans.
• NAMA Best of Show/Advertising is won by Agriliance and its agency Colle-McVoy.
• PR Best is won by Farmland Industries (in-house).
Ten Years Ago (1996)
• Ciba-Geigy and Sandoz merge to form Novartis. Combined ag sales are nearly $6 billion.
• IMC and Vigoro Corp. merge under the name IMC Global.
• NAMA's annual conference is held in San Diego.
• NAMA's Best of Show/Advertising is won by DuPont and its agency Saatchi & Saatchi.
• PR Best is won by the Washington Apple Commission (in-house).
• The United Soybean Board hires mgmt firm Smith Bucklin & Assoc to manage all of its production, new uses and domestic mktg projects.
Twenty Years Ago (1986)
• Fulton Breen is promoted to business analyst at Union Carbide.
• Pioneer Hi-Bred consolidates its five regional production and marketing units into one production unit headed by Corp VP Dr. Owen Newlin and two marketing units - Mkg West headed by Carrol Bolen and Mktg East by Robert Wichmann.
• NAMA's annual conference is held in Dallas. Named Agri-marketer of the year is Ciba-Geigy's Leo Bontempo.
• NAMA's Best of Show is won by Mobay and its agency Valentine-Radford. AM