NEW MEMBERS TO USDA'S NATIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE ON MEAT AND POULTRY INSPECTION NAMED
May 16, 2018
Source: USDA news release
U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue today announced the appointment of 5 new members and 12 returning members to the National Advisory Committee on Meat and Poultry Inspection (NACMPI).
"It is our goal to protect public health, prevent foodborne illness, and promote confidence in the U.S. food safety inspection system, which is the most reliable and well-documented in the world," said Perdue. "These committee members, with their breadth of experience and expertise, will help inform USDA on best practices as we continue to protect public health with the latest advances in science and technology."
NACMPI was established in 1971 by the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS). NACMPI is a discretionary advisory committee that advises on food safety concerns and other matters affecting federal and state inspection program activities. It also contributes to USDA's regulatory policy development.
The new NACMPI members appointed to serve two-year terms are:
• Mr. Thomas Gremillion, Consumer Federation of America
• Mr. James Jenkins, Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry
• Dr. Amilton De Mello, University of Nevada
• Ms. Tina Rendon, Pilgrim's Pride Corp
• Ms. Kimberly Rice, U.S. Foods
Reappointed NACMPI members are:
• Dr. Manpreet Singh, University of Georgia
• Dr. Randall K. Phebus, Kansas State University
• Dr. Patricia Curtis, Auburn University
• Mr. Brian Sapp, White Oak Pastures
• Ms. Sherri Jenkins, JBS, USA
• Dr. Betsy Booren, Olsson Frank Weeda Terman Matz, PC
• Dr. Alice Johnson, Butterball
• Dr. Michael Crupain, Dr. Oz Show
• Dr. Tanya Roberts, Center for Foodborne Illness Research and Prevention
• Mr. Kurt Brandt, United Food and Commercial Workers Union
• Dr. Dustin Oedekoven, South Dakota State
• Dr. Kryzsztof Mazurczak, State of Illinois
For further information on NACMPI, please visit the FSIS website.