UPL ANNOUNCES PARTNERSHIP TO MARKET KIMITEC'S BIOSOLUTIONS IN NORTH AMERICA
May 3, 2022
Source: UPL news release
KING OF PRUSSIA, Pa. - UPL, a global leader in sustainable agriculture solutions, announces that its Natural Plant Protection (NPP) business unit has entered into a strategic collaboration with Kimitec's MAAVi Innovation Center (MAAVi IC) to deliver tailored BioSolutions technologies in the United States.
The collaboration with the Spanish multinational Kimitec, a recognized global leader in the research, development and marketing of BioSolutions, and its R&D Center MAAVi, the largest dedicated to the research and development of molecules and natural compounds for the farming industry in Europe and one of the largest biotechnology centers for natural agriculture in the world, broadens the offerings that UPL will deliver to support sustainable food production while driving greater profitability for growers.
The long-term agreement includes the development and delivery of innovative BioSolutions products to promote optimal plant development, improved yields and crop quality. MAAVi Innovation Center is providing the technology and Kimitec the distribution rights for five biostimulant and innovative nutrition (BSIN) products that UPL is registering to market and distribute for multiple crops in the United States, including row crops, fruits and vegetables and tree nuts.
UPL is the world's largest manufacturer and distributor of BioSolutions, and last year launched Natural Plant Protection (NPP), a new global business unit championing UPL's comprehensive portfolio of natural and biologically derived agriculture inputs and technologies.
"Biosolutions are a core pillar of our global purpose and work to reimagine sustainability for food systems, for farmers and for our environment," says Jim Petta, UPL Natural Plant Protection Head, North America. "Building on the launch of NPP last year, we are proud to partner with Kimitec and its MAAVi Innovation Center to further expand our portfolio of products and technologies, and to offer new and sustainable solutions to address the challenges faced by growers."
Kimitec is a Spanish biotechnology multinational company dedicated to the commercialization of biopesticides, biostimulants, prebiotics and probiotics for agriculture. Kimitec's research center MAAVi is specialized in the research and development of biosolutions using a unique research method that taps into the synergies of different natural areas and provides solutions with the same efficacy as synthetic chemistry.
"Kimitec's research places productivity, environmental responsibility, and consumer health at the forefront of the equation," said Francisco Manzano, Senior Vice President of Business Development and Strategic Accounts at Kimitec.
"UPL is a recognized leader in sustainable agriculture solutions, and this partnership is a natural and important step in our mission to grow a better world. The partnership will establish a BioSolutions product pipeline that has the best interests of U.S. growers in mind," Manzano continues. "Combining with our significant innovations in research and development, as well as our unique microbial capabilities and ability to breed our own bacteria, will mean better, targeted products that can go to market faster."
UPL is marketing five BSIN products this year through the partnership:
• ALFA™ is a soil amendment based on the combination of two soil probiotics to optimize access to water and nutrients in crops. ALFA is being registered for vegetable crops, strawberries and berries, tree nuts (almond and pistachio), pome fruit and citrus, vine crops and row crops. OMRI approval is pending.
• MOTO™ is a plant nutritional supplement that supplies nitrogen to crops and may help optimize conditions for resistance to abiotic stress. It is being registered for cotton, soybean, corn, vegetables, citrus and fruit trees, grapes, berries and root and tuber crops.
• VELEXI™ is a fermented concentrate of soil prebiotics designed to promote the activity of soil microorganisms, leading to improved aeration, nutrient availability and root development. It is being registered for cereals, corn, sunflower, sugar beets, soybeans, pulses and cotton. OMRI approval is pending.
• SERENIS™ is a root enhancement liquid formulation. It aids in the improved development of the plant's root system. Registered crops will include greenhouse and outdoor vegetables, pome fruits, citrus, strawberries and vine crops. OMRI approval is pending.
• CEVO™ is a liquid fertilizer developed to provide nitrogen to crops from a unique formulation process which combines enzymatic hydrolysis and bacterial fermentation. It supports plant metabolism at critical stages for better plant performance. It will be registered for certain vegetables, fruits, strawberries, vine crops and cereals. OMRI approval is pending.
"Through UPL's OpenAg purpose, NPP is delivering differentiated solutions that address the challenges of growers - and society - for today and tomorrow," Petta says. "The strategic agreement with Kimitec's MAAVi Innovation Center is aligned with UPL's OpenAg purpose - delivering innovation through our own grower-focused R&D and industry collaborations that bring enhanced value for all stakeholders."
UPL is a leader in global food systems, as one of the top 5 agricultural solutions companies worldwide. With revenue of US$5 billion, UPL has a presence in 130 countries. With market access to 90 percent of the world's food basket and a focus on high-growth regions, UPL represents a compelling value proposition for growers, distributors, suppliers and innovation partners in a consolidating market. UPL offers an integrated portfolio of both patented and post-patent agricultural solutions for various arable and specialty crops, including biological, crop protection, seed treatment and post-harvest solutions covering the entire crop value chain.