AGRI MARKETING'S STOCK INDEX FAILS TO KEEP PACE WITH GENERAL MARKETS
Jan. 2, 2020
Source: Agri Marketing magazine
During the full year of 2019, Agri Marketing's Ag Stock Index finished up 19%. That compares to the Dow Jones Industrial Index up 22%, S&P 500 up 29% and NASDAQ up 35%.
The Agri Marketing Ag Stock Index is composed of a portfolio of 28 publicly traded companies with significant agricultural interests.
Since its inception on January 1, 2006, the Agri Marketing Ag Stock Index has gained 171%. That compares to the Dow's gain of 320%, the S&P 500's gain of 340% and NASDAQ's gain of 450%.
18 companies' stock prices were higher for the year while 8 declined.
The Ag Stock Index's five largest gainers during the full year in 2019 were:
1. Alamo Group (farm equipment): +61%
2. Zoetis (animal health): +55%
3. FMC (crop protection): +51%
4. Farmer Mac (ag credit): +44%
5. AGCO (farm machinery): +41%
Those posting the largest losses were:
1. The Mosaic Co. (plant nutrients): (27%)
2. The Andersons (grain handling, biofuels): (14%)
3. Art's Way Mfg (farm machinery): (12%)
4. Buhler Industries (farm machinery): (8%)
American Vanguard (crop protection): +28%
Bayer (crop protection, seed, digital): +20%
BASF (crop protection, seed): +9%
CNH Industrial (farm machinery): +24%
Corteva Agriscience (crop protection, seed, digital): +3%
Deere & Co (farm machinery): +19%
Elanco (animal health): (6%)
Nutrien (crop inputs): +4.5%